Immigration is the international movement of people into a destination country of which they are not natives or where they do not possess citizenship in order to settle or reside there, especially as permanent residents or naturalized citizens, or to take up employment as a migrant worker or temporarily as a foreign worker
· Most things get stronger when they are regularly challenged. That is how exercise and studying work to improve our bodies and minds. This is basic argument that how immigration strengthen tolerance. Immigration, however, by challenging tolerance also exposes intolerance. So you may get the impression that it causes more intolerance. This isn’t so. The backlash against immigration we see in many parts of the world isn’t new intolerance, but entrenched intolerance freshly exposed.
· Tolerance is the basic need of the whole world as our world became global village so there is less tolerance between different people from societies. To increase the level of tolerance, variety among people in a place is necessary.
· A Washington Post-Kaiser Family Foundation survey of nearly 1,700 Americans – including more than 1,000 in rural areas – reveals that attitudes toward immigrants form one of the widest gulfs between U.S. cities and rural communities. Rural residents are more likely than people in cities or suburbs to think that immigrants are not adapting to the American way of life. The poll also finds that these views soften in rural areas with significant foreign-born populations.
So when there is variety in the culture of country than tolerance will automatically increase because of interdependency
· Pakistan, my country is proudly the largest host of refugees in the world according to UNHCR.According to their report Pakistan host more than 1.45 million refugees and most of them are from Afghanistan.these refugees become immigrants because of the long afghan war and now they don’t want to go back there. I personally witness that now these people live with the people of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province of Pakistan and they have love for each other and their younger ones are marrying with each other, this immigration of afghans due to war however increase the level of tolerance and peace and interregional harmony.
· According to a research of researchgate.net, all the data gathered from 1980 to today, all the indicators of tolerance have increased. from 2005 onwards, the increase in tolerance appears particularly striking. More French people declare they are “in favour of the right for immigrants to vote at local elections”. more people consider “immigration as a source of cultural enrichment.”
· Graduates have “the most tolerant attitudes towards immigrants and benefit recipients”, even when factors such as their income and social class are taken into account.A study carried out by researchers from NatCen Social Research and the Open University for the Department for Business, Innovation and Skills looked at differences in social attitudes between graduates and those with other levels of education. It found that some of these differences were related to being a graduate, rather than to other background factors associated with being a graduate, such as income level and type of job.”Higher education is expected to help students respond to the changing needs of society, but the expanding numbers of graduates, with their distinctive attitudes, may well be driving further changes in society,” says the research paper, published by BIS and titled The Effect of Higher Education on Graduates’ Attitudes: Secondary Analysis of the British Social Attitudes Survey.
· The conclusion that we get from the above researches and surveys, it is clear that immigration strengthen tolerance at all and yes there are some cases where immigration by illegal ways causes harm and instability in society.
· The last but not least example of how immigration strengthen tolerance is the migration of Muhammad (peace be upon him) from Makkah to Madinah and there they stablished the islamic state of Madinah where they stablished brotherly relations with the hosts and the migrants.It is stated in history that the hosts gave their land, livestock to the immigrants and called as Ansaars and the muhajirs respectively.
JOHN F KENNEDY said that ” everywhere immigrants have enriched and strengthened the fabric of American life”.